Workers' Compensation

There may be instances when an incident may result in a workers’ compensation claim. 

The Workers’ Compensation Program provides benefits to employees who sustain work-related injuries and/or contract occupational diseases while carrying out the duties and responsibilities of their employment.  A Third-Party Administrator (TPA), contracted by the state of North Carolina, accepts or denies liability for a workplace injury or illness. The Workers’ Compensation Administrator (WCA) in the Office of Risk Management and Insurance works to ensure all claims for Workers’ Compensation are reported appropriately and for monitoring the claims.  For detailed information, please review the following: University Policy 101.7: Workers' Compensation and Leave Administration – Workers’ Compensation Leave.

To ensure sufficient time to initiate a workers’ compensation claim, the signed forms and all other documents must be submitted to Office of Risk Management and Insurance as soon as possible, but no later than three work days. (University Incident Reporting & Investigation PIM #27).